Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Blaze the walls, break them all.

Tunes in my head: Stand by R.E.M.
Atmosphere: Curious


The story of Brivs Mekis is an intriguing one in regards to the notion of identity in society.

Basically, the story regards this schizophrenic man in Athens, Georgia. His house was divided in two by a brick wall. On each side was different household implements, different pets, different settings, completely different lives.

As he had split personalities, whenever he changed from one personality to another, he would proceed to move to the other side of the house for a while until he switched back.

Nobody knew of this life until after his death, when they searched his house, and found hundreds of copies of a book - Life: How To Live.

Now, how can we say that he did not have a discernable identity? Of course he did, that's just logical. He had more than one.

Were they both important, distinct? I'd say so, even though I never knew the guy, and I obviously can't ask him now.

But what says identity can't be split into chambers, into sections? It seems like a perfectly rational thing to me.

What is identity, anyway? Is it who we are?

Or is it who we are to a certain group of people?

On my own personal front, people generally tend to see me as the most batshit insane person they could possibly talk to, who would stop at absolutely nothing to make people laugh and smile. He often fails, yes, but it doesn't mean he stops trying. He's just always there to help out, to be there.

But there's also a sense of darkness within me. There's this overwhelming wave of sadness that can sometimes swallow me. There's this sense that all I'm doing is merely waiting for the next drop off the side of the cliff. There's a side people don't generally see, but a select few know exist.

And even then, there's possibly more. The select few may see me as the wonderful, sweet person I apparently am (I don't see it myself.) Of course, maybe I don't want to fully expose myself. Every time I truly do, I get nothing but pain from anyone I do.

Do we hide sides of ourselves from others?

If we do, are we really showing off our true identity, or are we merely placing up the facade?

No comments: