Monday, January 4, 2010

Driving home to mum and dad, to spend a weekend with no cares.

Tunes in my head: Dirt by Phish
Books of a page: Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Atmosphere: Melancholic.

It's funny, really. We're all inherently disposable. We all have our own faults and flaws and positives and strengths, but in the end, when it all comes down to it, if we were replaced by someone else, who would give a fuck? Sure, society in the short term on the smallest possible scale would be affected, but in the long term, nobody would give a shit.

So then, when we notice that we're being replaced, why do we get so offended? We evolve as human beings, we discover new needs and goals, lose old desires. But even so, when we go to grasp these, there is a certain part in us that regrets.

Do we need some sort of immense pain before we can finally let something go? Do we need some great event before we can finally just give it away for it to abuse the next person who traverses amongst their path?

Perhaps. But even so, the whole notion of letting go of something one cares about, even though you know they merely use you as a stepping stone to some other place is still a painful one. It's not as easy as anyone can say, as anyone can think. There are memories involved in any sort of interaction between people, even if it's as insignificant and inconsequential as walking by them in a corridor and meeting eyes.

But when you cut the ties, and when you let go, then that all slowly dies away. You become hardened, less emotional, less willing to let someone into your little place.

As the same time, though, what exactly is the point in erasing your memories? Yes, they are painful, but they are what they are. One can never forget the time you spent with a person, even as they slowly, or quickly and painfully tear themselves away. And in reality, they will always be there, affecting your psyche.

So do we become jaded and cold, or do we stay emotional and hurt? What can be said, aside from that when you turn your back, the bastards will do nothing but put the knife in.

Maybe there's one more option. Maybe we can hide beneath the dirt and watch as the selfish motherfuckers walk over our graves, not even noting our existence as they do so.

But what's the point in a life where we don't experience, where we don't feel?

Yes, the notion of detachment is a painful one that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies, it leads to so many negative consequences and feelings. But at the same time, isn't it an integral part of us as humans? Isn't the negative experience of someone just completely ditching us, leaving us in the dust for some unfeasible reason, or even worse, as a method of getting away from their own comfort zone, something that strengthens us as human beings?

Perhaps that's why people do it. They make a conscious attempt to move as far away from the things that make them feel loved, that make them feel wanted. And it often fails, and they fall back into their own pit of despair and denial. Somehow they feed off this feeling, utilising it in order to get support behind them.

Then again, they never said they'd stay until the end, I suppose. There was never a promise.

Which is why I don't necessarily believe in the concept of marriage. Isn't there always the lingering chance of abandonment, the doubt that lies in the back of one's mind that their love will find a sense of total intimacy with another? Even in the person that we eternally trust, forever and ever, there is a sense of doubt, sometimes rightfully, sometimes unjustifiably, that we will be tossed aside like yesterday's newspaper.

But isn't that what we do best as humans? We're a selfish race. We enjoy tossing aside what won't directly benefit us in the future. Fuck somebody who has the balls to put you first and themselves second. You'll just use them for every fucking penny they have and then toss them aside, never to be looked at again, the cinderella who is no longer a virgin, the tainted prize.

That's how the end always is.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

So who are you letting go of?

The Him said...

People who have hurt me badly. Basically, I've weighed up the possibility of getting hurt against the friendship which I treasure so much. And after you get hurt a number of times, even the closest friendship starts to lose it's worth.

(in future, can you figure out some sort of identifying factor so I don't confuse you with the other posters on here? I don't have to understand it per se, I just don't want to confuse the litany of posters here.)

Anonymous said...

Usually you can tell if it's a different anonymous by their writing style or general attitude to you.

Who's hurt you?

The Him said...

Yes, I know, but there are the occasional ones that trip me up.

Someone who was very close to me who abused the way I acted towards them. Who decided that despite me being so nice and generous towards them, that I deserved nothing but bitterness and anger towards me. And eventually I decided that it wasn't worth it to pursue it any more.

Anonymous said...

Have you told them this?

Maybe it's not to do with you. Or maybe it's deeper than you think.

I'd give them one last call before you let go completely. Try and get closure, maybe.

Anonymous said...

Have you told them this?

Maybe it's not to do with you. Or maybe it's deeper than you think.

I'd give them one last call before you let go completely. Try and get closure, maybe.

Anonymous said...

Apologies for the double post. Computer acting weird.

The Him said...

Yes, I have told them this, on multiple occasions.

And it gets to the point where you just have to weigh up the goods of the relationship (and I've never said one bad thing about this person and always treasured the connection I've had with them) against the pain that is caused by their constant attitude and demeanour and actions towards me.

Eventually you just start to think that it's just not worth it, that no matter how much effort you put into it (and in my case it's practically everything), they will never appreciate it, they will just continue to abuse your care and insult and generally destroy you.

I have tried so hard to reach out to this person and it's just not seeming like they'll even take it anymore.

And, I don't know about the concept of closure. Life (and even death) is a constantly evolving process. So closure is only temporary, in which case it isn't really that, is it?

Anonymous said...

So what have they done that's pushed you over the edge like this?

Closure is important. Believe me.

The Him said...

Well, I organised a party, and they came, basically threw a fit for no apparent reason, basically advised to a friend that if I came within my own house I'd be dead, and didn't look me in the eye or say a word to me once in the sixteen hours they were there. And as a result I feel slighted.

Oh, yes, I know. But at the same time, the fact that there is always the notion that you can see someone again leads me to believe it's not so. You can say you'll never talk to someone again and then five years later see them in a coffee shop and talk to them again like nothing was wrong. So at this point I'm feeling it's better to simply let go.

Anonymous said...

Have you talked to them since?

The Him said...

No. Mainly for their own "no, I don't want to talk to you" bravado.

Anonymous said...

Since this party, I mean. How do you know it was for no reason?

I just have a problem with people leaving things hanging like that. What if something happens to them and you never get to tell them how you feel? Or they never get a chance to apologize?
They sound like a fairly volatile person.

Anonymous said...

Also, god my computer is slow.

The Him said...

Well, from the people who she talked to, they said there was no reason behind it, according to them. I'd love to know first hand, but they're not exactly being communicative, so I can't exactly do that. At least not right now.

Yes, I have a massive problem with it as well. The thing is, I don't particularly want to leave it, because this person means a lot to me. But at the same time, I've been weighing up whether the continual pain and anger and sadness is worth the nothing at which this person gives me. It's been becoming less and less worth it for a while, and it's finally coming to the point where I just cannot do it any longer.

Yes, I do realise that. They read this, I know, so I think they have some idea for how I feel. If they really want to apologise to me, they have ways of contacting me. We've been through situations like this before and every time it's me who initiates contact. And so this time I refuse to do it because if I actually do mean anything to them, they will reach out, even if just to say "hey, Liam, for fuck's sakes, I want to talk." If they can't even do that, which I've reassured them time and time again that they can do no matter what the circumstances, then I obviously mean nothing to them.

Yes, they are rather volatile.

Is that last comment a hint to who you are? :p

Anonymous said...

Who do you think I am?

Just call them. Better to make the first move than leave it like this.

The Him said...

I think you may be the person I'm talking about.

Well...I really don't see the point. It just starts the cycle again. It starts the cycle of hurt and pain for both of us. And if I do make the same move again, what's to say she just won't appreciate the gesture yet again and will just abuse it once more? The thing is, I've always treated her with the utmost respect and she has always absolutely abused it. And so if I do it again, what's to say it won't happen? Nothing, in my eyes.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Liam, for fucks sakes, I want to talk.